We are back with another very simple hanging spool swing design that requires very little work and will result in a very functional and reliable piece of exhibit furniture. This item can be used for various felines, primates and even small mammals that are agile and have good balance. This wooden spool swing will hang from the roof of the exhibit with the use of chains or high strength cable in order to provide the animal with a wobbly and interactive platform to use.
- A wooden spool, the one used for this project was about 4 feet wide but only about 1 foot and half tall making it ideal for a swing
- 2 heavy duty eye bolts and the appropriate nuts and washers
- Appropriate length of chain
- 2 heavy duty carabiners
- 2 heavy duty chain connectors
- Fire hose
- Measuring tape
- Drill and Drill bits
- The first thing you are going to do with the spool is find the centre line so that the spool will be well balanced when you hang it. To do this simply use the tape measure to fine the diameter and half that this will be the line that you will drill your eye bolt holes on.
- Once you have your centre line, measure 3-4 inches in from the edge on either side of the line. Drill a hole on either side that is large enough for you to fit an eye bolt through.
- After you have done this, insert your eye bolts and with the washer on the under side of the spool, tighten the bolt until the eye bolt does not move.
- Next you will have to determine how far you want the spool to be off the ground/ how high the spot you are hanging it from is, this will give you the total length of the chain you will need. (keeping in mind the height of the spool itself) Once you have this, cut your chain to length.
- Cut 2 lengths of fire hose to the same length or slightly shorter depending on how you are hanging the spool and thread through the chain.
- Lastly you can attach a chain connector to one end of the chain and attach to the eye bolt, then attach a carabiner to the other end of the chain.
Before you use any spool I would recommend scanning it thoroughly for any sharp edges or loose nails before it is places in any exhibit. If you want this wooden spool swing to be more stable for a less agile animal you can always use 3 chains instead of 2.